So, how to Sports Bet? Welcome to the exciting world of sports betting, where the thrill of the game meets the anticipation of winning! As a beginner, stepping into this exciting realm may seem overwhelming, but fear not.
For beginner sport bettors, you might wonder how to win on sportsbet, or how to earn money from sports bet. You will find out all essential information about how to bet on sports in this beginners guide to sports betting article, to start betting on sports and horse racing.
Table of Contents
- What is betting on sports?
- What is betting on horse racing?
- How to sports bet for beginners
- Common Online Bet Types for Sports
- Risks to know when do the bettings
- How to Sports Bet FAQs
- Bottom Line
Tips For Better Engagement
Interact Better In Your Presentation!
Instead of a boring session, be a creative funny host by mixing quizzes and games altogether! All they need is a phone to make any hangout, meeting or lesson more engaging!
🚀 Create Free Slides ☁️
What is Betting On Sports?
Sports betting involves placing wagers on the outcome of sporting events. Whether it’s a thrilling football match, an intense basketball game, or a nail-biting tennis match, sports betting sparks excitement to your favorite sports. You get to test your knowledge, intuition, and luck while cheering for your chosen team or athlete, making every moment of the game even more exhilarating!
What is betting on horse racing?
Horse racing betting is a specialized form of sports betting that revolves around predicting the winners of horse races. It’s a time-honored tradition that dates back centuries, combining the thrill of competition with the beauty and elegance of these majestic animals. Betting on horse racing allows you to immerse yourself in a world of speed, strategy, and skill, as you place your bets on the horses and jockeys that you believe will gallop to victory!
How to bet on horse racing? Here are some of the most common betting types in horse racing:
- Win: Betting on a horse to win means you are placing a bet on that horse to finish first in the race. If the horse you bet on wins, you collect your winnings.
- Place: Betting on a horse to place means you are betting on that horse to finish either first or second in the race. If the horse finishes in either of these positions, you win your bet.
- Show: Betting on a horse to show means you are betting on that horse to finish in the top three positions (first, second, or third) in the race. If the horse finishes in any of these positions, you win your bet.
- Exacta: An exacta bet requires you to pick the horses that will finish first and second in the correct order. You must predict the exact finishing order for both horses to win the bet.
- Trifecta: A trifecta bet is similar to an exacta but requires you to pick the horses that will finish first, second, and third in the correct order. You must predict the exact finishing order for all three horses to win the bet.
- Quinella: A quinella bet is like an exacta, but it does not require you to predict the exact finishing order. Instead, you pick two horses, and they can finish first and second in any order for you to win.
- Superfecta: A superfecta bet is more challenging and requires you to pick the horses that will finish first, second, third, and fourth in the correct order. It’s a more difficult bet, but it offers higher potential payouts.
How to Sports Bet for Beginners?
In this section, we’ll go deeper into the world of Sports Bet and basic rule to place a bet. There are hundreds of terms and rules that you need to remember before betting on any kind of sports.
In-person Betting and Online Betting
When it comes to sports betting, there are two primary avenues you can explore: in-person betting and online betting.
- In-person betting typically takes place at sportsbooks or betting kiosks located within casinos or dedicated betting venues. It allows you to interact with the staff, view odds on screens, and place your bets on-site.
- Online betting, on the other hand, offers convenience and accessibility. You can place bets from the comfort of your home or on the go using betting apps or websites. Online platforms provide a wide range of sports and betting options, making it an excellent choice for beginners.
Favorite and Underdog
- The “Favorite” is the team or player that is expected to win the game or match while The “Underdog” is the team or player that is expected to lose the game or match.
- Favorites are indicated by a negative number in the odds (e.g., -150). Underdogs are indicated by a positive number in the odds (e.g., +200).
- Betting on the favorite may yield a lower payout because the odds are more in their favor. In the meanwhile, betting on the underdog may yield a higher payout if they manage to win.
What does -110 mean?
What does -110 mean? For odds expressed as -110, it means that you need to bet $110 to win $100.Sportsbooks aim to make money through the “vig” or “juice,” which is the commission they charge for taking bets. By offering odds of -110 on both sides of a bet, they ensure that they’ll collect a small commission regardless of the outcome.
Common online bet types for sports
Online sport betting is increasing in popularity due to its high odds and convenience. Thus, it is important to familiarize yourself with some common online bet types for sports. Here is a betting guide for beginners on sport bet with examples on football and baseball.
How to Sports Bet on Moneyline
This is the simplest bet type, where you wager on the team or athlete you believe will win the game or match. The odds indicate the potential payout for a winning bet.
Let’s take an example of a basketball game between the 49ers and the Raiders:
- 49ers: -200
- Raiders: +200
In this scenario, the odds show the following:
- If you bet $100 on the 49ers (-200), and they win the game, you would win $50 (plus your original $200 back). The total payout would be $300. (The negative (-) sign in the odds indicates that the 49ers are the favorite, and you need to bet $200 to win $100.)
- If you bet $100 on the Raiders (+200), and they win the game, you would win $200 (plus your original $100 back). The total payout would be $300.
How to Sports Bet on Parlay
A parlay bet involves combining multiple individual bets into one ticket. To win, all the selected bets must be correct. Parlays offer higher potential payouts but also carry higher risk due to the requirement of all bets being successful.
Let’s look at an example of a parlay bet involving three different individual bets:
- Los Angeles Dodgers to win against the Cincinnati Reds (-195)
- Detroit Tigers to win against the Boston Red Sox (+140)
- Chicago Cubsto win against the Pittsburgh Pirate (+110)
Each individual bet has its own odds, and the odds for the parlay are calculated by multiplying the odds of each selection together. For this example, let’s say you decide to bet $50 on the parlay.
- Los Angeles Dodgers (-195): If you bet $50 on the Dodgers and they win, you would win $25.64 (plus your original $50 back), making the total payout $75.64.
- Detroit Tigers (+140): If you bet $50 on the Tigers and they win, you would win $70 (plus your original $50 back), making the total payout $120.
- Chicago Cubs (+110): If you bet $50 on the Cubs and they win, you would win $55 (plus your original $50 back), making the total payout $105.
Now, let’s calculate the potential payout for the parlay:
$75.64 (Dodgers) x $120 (Tigers) x $105 (Cubs) = $952,548
If all three teams win, your $50 parlay bet would result in a potential payout of $952,548! However, it’s essential to remember that if any of the teams lose, the entire parlay bet is lost, and you would not receive any winnings.
How to Sports Bet on Point Spreads
Point spreads are popular in team sports like football and basketball. The favorite team must win by a specific margin, while the underdog can lose by a certain number of points and still cover the spread.
Let’s use the example of a football game between the San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs, with the point spread set at SF 49ers (+1.5) (-110) and KC Chiefs (-1.5) (-110).
You bet $110 on the SF 49ers or KC Chief to win $100.
- If the 49ers win the game or lose by one point, you would win $100 (plus your original $110 back), making the total payout $210.
- If the Chiefs win the game by two or more points, you would win $100 (plus your original $110 back), making the total payout $210.
How to Sports Bet on Prob bets
Proposition bets, or Prop bets allow you to bet on specific occurrences within a game or match. Prop bets are wagers on specific occurrences or outcomes within a game or match that may not directly affect the final result.
For example, it is common to see Prob best in Football besides Totals betting. Some common prop bets for the World Cup could be:
- First goal scorer: Betting on which player will score the first goal in a specific match.
- Total goals scored by a team: Betting on the total number of goals a particular team will score in a match or throughout the tournament.
- Player assists: Betting on whether a specific player will register an assist in a match.
- Yellow or red cards: Betting on the number of yellow or red cards shown during a match.
How to Sports Bet on Totals (Over/Under)
With totals, you bet on whether the combined score of both teams will be over or under a specific number set by the sportsbook. The sportsbook sets a specific number, known as the “total,” and you have the option to bet on whether the actual total score will be over or under that predetermined number.
How does this betting works? Let’s use the example of a football game between the Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Commanders with a Total set at 48 points, and the odds for both sides are -110.
- If the final score is Dallas Cowboys 27, Washington Commanders 21 (total 48 points exactly):
- Both the Over and Under bets would be considered “push,” meaning the actual total matches the set Total. In this case, your original bet amount would be returned, and there would be no winnings or losses.
- If the final score is Dallas Cowboys 30, Washington Commanders 20 (total 50 points):
- If you bet $110 on the Over (O48) and the total is 50 points, you would win $100 (plus your original $110 back), making the total payout $210.
- If you bet $110 on the Under (U48) and the total is 50 points, you would lose your bet, and your total payout would be $0.
How to sports bet on Future
Future bets involve predicting the outcome of a season or tournament well in advance. For instance, you might bet on the team you believe will win the Super Bowl before the NFL season begins.
How to sports bet on Live bet
Live betting allows you to place bets during the course of a game or match. As the action unfolds, odds may change based on the current situation, spicing up with more joy and exhilaration to your betting experience.
Risks To Know When Do The Bettings
As with any form of gambling, sports betting carries certain risks. It’s vital to be aware of these risks to make informed decisions and protect yourself as a bettor:
- Potential Losses: There’s always a chance that you may lose money when betting on sports. Never bet more than you can afford to lose and remember that losses are a part of the journey.
- Addiction: Gambling can be addictive for some individuals. Set clear limits on your betting activities and seek help if you ever feel that your betting habits are becoming problematic.
- External Influences: Injuries, weather conditions, and unexpected events can all impact the outcome of a game. Be prepared for the unexpected and factor in these variables when placing your bets.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions that beginners often have about sports betting:
Is sports betting legal?
The legality of sports betting varies by country and region. Before you start betting, please check with your authority to ensure that it is legal in your location.
Can I make money from sports betting?
While some bettors can make consistent profits, sports betting should be seen as entertainment rather than a guaranteed source of income.
How do I deposit and withdraw money on sport betting apps?
Betting apps offer various payment methods for deposits and withdrawals, including credit/debit cards, e-wallets, and bank transfers.
This is an ultimate betting guide for beginners to place a bet on sports and horse racing. Hope this article will empower newcomers with the knowledge, confidence, and more luck to engage in sports and horse racing betting.
It is totally fine to immerse yourself in the joy of betting but be a responsible bettor. If you want to get more inspiration on alternatives to sports bets, better ways to have fun with friends and family, check out AhaSlides right away!