There was a time when pub quizzes happened in… well, pubs. But with the pandemic going on, it has become more common to organise a virtual pub quiz on your choice of video chat for the evening (or in the day, we’re not judging you). Whether it’s Google Hangouts, Zoom, Skype, or any other video call platforms, big brains are flexing around the internet and laughter ensues.
But for every quiz, there must be a quizmaster – and for every quizmaster, there must be questions! We assume this time, it’s you.
So, if it’s really your turn to host the quiz, don’t panic. We at AhaSlides have compiled the most comprehensive list of general knowledge quiz questions (and answers) on the internet, just for you. The list ranges from broad topics like films, geography, history, to niche topics like pop culture, James Bond, and Game of Thrones.
Protip 👊 Click here for more tips on how to host the ultimate 2021 pub quiz!
Play the Quiz! 👇
Want to have a bash yourself? Compete with the world in this 20-question general knowledge quiz on AhaSlides! Just click the banner below to try it out.
How Does it Work?
To host this quiz on AhaSlides, only 2 things are needed:
- For the host (that’s you!): A laptop with an AhaSlides account.
- For the players: A phone each.
Simply run through the questions on your AhaSlides account and your players will answer them live on their phones. At the end of the questions, you’ll know for sure who’s the general knowledge king or queen!
Oh, and this fully free quiz is fully customisable! You can change anything you want about the questions, backgrounds, images, question types etc. on AhaSlides.
170 Quiz Questions and Answers
Feel like forgoing the free technology and kicking it old school? Here are 170 questions and answers for a general knowledge quiz:
General Knowledge Quiz Questions and Answers
1. What year did the Titanic sink in the Atlantic Ocean on 15 April, on its maiden voyage from Southampton?
2. What is the title of the first ever Carry On film made and released in 1958?
3. What is the name of the biggest technology company in South Korea?
4. Which singer fronted the 1970s’ pop group Showaddywaddy?
5. Which now famous TV chef started cooking at the age of eight in his parents’ pub, ‘The Cricketers’, in Clavering, Essex?
6. Which Dutch darts player won the 2012 BDO World Championship at the Lakeside Country Club, Frimley Green on 15 January?
7. Which metal was discovered by Hans Christian Oersted in 1825?
8. What is the capital of Portugal?
9. How many breaths does the human body take daily?
10. Who was Prime Minister of Great Britain from 1841 to 1846?
11. What is the chemical symbol for silver?
12. Who invented Cat’s Eyes in 1934 to improve road safety?
13. What is the world’s smallest bird?
14. Who played ‘Bodie’ and ‘Doyle’ in The Professionals?
15. What is the doll, Barbie’s, full name?
16. What does Paul Hunn hold the record for, which registered at 118.1 decibels?
17. What did Al Capone’s business card state his occupation was?
18. What is the lifespan of a dragonfly?
19. Which year was the first Tonka truck made – 1945, 1947 or 1949?
20. Who invented the tin can for preserving food in 1810?
2. Carry on Sergeant
4. Dave Bartram
5. Jamie Oliver
6. Christian Kist
9. 20,000 daily
10. Robert Peel
12. Percy Shaw
13. Bee Hummingbird
14. Lewis Collins and Martin Shaw
15. Barbara Millicent Roberts
16. The loudest burp
17. A used furniture salesman
18. 24 hours
20. Peter Durand
Films General Knowledge Quiz Questions and Answers
21. In which year was The Godfather first released?
22. Which actor won the best actor Oscar for the films Philadelphia (1993) and Forrest Gump (1994)?
23. How many self-referential cameos did Alfred Hitchcock make in his films from 1927-1976 – 33, 35 or 37?
24. Which 1982 film was greatly accepted by film fans for its portrayal of the love between a young, fatherless suburban boy and a lost, benevolent and homesick visitor from another planet?
25. Which actress played Mary Poppins in the 1964 film Mary Poppins?
26. In which 1963 classic film did Charles Bronson appear?
27. In which 1995 film did Sandra Bullock play the character Angela Bennett – Wrestling Ernest Hemingway, The Net or 28 Days?
28. Which New Zealand female director directed these films – In the Cut (2003), The Water Diary (2006) and Bright Star (2009)?
29. Which actor provided the voice for the character Nemo in the 2003 film Finding Nemo?
30. Which prisoner dubbed ‘the most violent prisoner in Britain’ was the subject of a 2009 film?
31. What 2008 film starring Chritian Bale has this quote: “I believe whatever doesn’t kill you, simply makes you…stranger.”?
32. American actress who played the part of Tokyo underworld boss O-Ren Ishii in KillBill Vol I & II
33. In which film did Hugh Jackman star as a rival magician of the character played by Christian Bale?
34. The film director, Frank Capra, famous for It’s a Wonderful Life, was born in which mediteranean country?
35. Which British action actor played the part of Lee Christmas alongside Sylvester Stallone in the film The Expendables?
36. Which American actor starred alongside Kim Bassinger in the film 9½ Weeks?
37. Which former Doctor Who actress played the part of Nebula in ‘Avengers:Infinity War’?
38. Who starred as Juno MacGuff opposite Michael Cera in the 2007 film Juno?
39. What is the name of the 2015 film about a frontiersman on a fur trading expedition in the 1820s and his fight for survival after being mauled by a bear?
40. Which film starring Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Brühl, charts the formula 1 rivalry of James Hunt and Niki Lauda?
22. Tom Hanks
24. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
25. Julie Andrews
26. The Great Escape
27. The Net
28. Jane Campion
29. Alexander Gould
30. Charles Bronson (the film was titled Bronson)
31. The Dark Knight
32. Lucy Liu
33. The Prestige
35. Jason Statham
36. Mickey Rourke
37. Karen Gillan
38. Ellen Page/Elliot Page
39. The Revenant
Create your Own Quiz for Free!
If you’re a trivia lover you can make your own free quiz (or download one of many templates) with AhaSlides in minutes. Check the video to found out how!
Sports General Knowledge Quiz Questions and Answers
41. Where does the American baseball team the Tampa Bay Rays play their home games?
42. First held in 1907, in which sport is the Waterloo Cup contested?
43. Who was the BBC’s ‘Sports Personality of the Year’ in 2001?
44. Where were the Commonwealth Games held in 1930?
45. How many players are there in a Water Polo team?
46. What sport did Neil Adams excel in?
47. What country won the 1982 World Cup in Spain defeating West Germany 3-1?
48. What is the nickname of Bradford City football club?
49. What team won the American football Superbowl in 1993, 1994 and 1996?
50. What greyhound won the Derby in 2000 and 2001?
51. Which tennis player won the 2012 Ladies Australian Open defeating Maria Sharapova 6-3, 6-0?
52. Who scored an extra time drop goal for England to win the 2003 Rugby World Cup defeating Australia 20-17?
53. What sports game did James Naismith invent in 1891?
54. How many times have the Patriots been in the final game of the Super Bowl?
55. Wimbledon 2017 was won by the 14th seed who surprisingly defeated Venus WIlliams in the final. Who is she?
56. How many players are there on an Olympic curling team?
57. As of 2020, who was the last Welshman to win Snooker’s World Championship?
58. Which American city’s Major League Baseball team are named after the Cardinals?
59. Which country has dominated Olympic Summer Games Synchronized Swimming with five gold medals since it’s reintroduction to the games in 2000?
60. Canadian Connor McDavid is a rising star in which sport?
41. Tropicana Field
42. Crown Green Bowls
43. David Beckham
44. Hamilton, Canada
49. Dallas Cowboys
50. Rapid Ranger
51. Victoria Azarenka
52. Jonny Wilkinson
55. Garbiñe Muguruza
57. Mark Williams
58. St Louis
60. Ice Hockey
Science General Knowledge Quiz Questions and Answers
61. Who dropped a hammer and a feather on the Moon to demonstrate that without air they fall at the same rate?
62. If the Earth were made into a black hole, what would be the diameter of its event horizon?
63. If you fell down an airless, frictionless hole going all the way through the Earth, how long would it take to fall to the other side? (To the nearest minute.)
64. How many hearts does an Octopus Have?
65. In what year was the product WD40 invented by chemist Norm Larsen?
66. If you took one step each second in seven-league boots, what would your speed be in miles per hour?
67. What is the furthest you can see with the naked eye?
68. To the nearest thousand, how many hairs are there on a typical human head?
69. Who invented the gramophone?
70. What do the initials HAL for the HAL 9000 computer mean in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey?
71. How many years will it take a spacecraft launched from Earth to arrive at the planet Pluto?
72. Who invented man-made fizzy drinks?
73. In 1930 Albert Einstein and a colleague were issued US patent 1781541. What was it for?
74. What is the largest molecule that forms part of a human body?
75. How much water is there on Earth per human being?
76. How many grams of salt (sodium chloride) are there in a litre of typical seawater?
77. If you could process a billion atoms per second, how long in years would it take to teleport a typical human being?
78. Where were the first computer animations produced?
79. To the nearest 1 per cent, what percentage of the mass of the solar system is in the Sun?
80. What’s the average surface temperature on Venus?
61. David R. Scott
63. 42 minutes
66. 75,600 miles per hour
67. 2.5 million light years
68. 10,000 hairs
69. Emile Berliner
70. Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer
71. Nine and a half years
72. Joseph Priestley
74. Chromosome 1
75. 210,000,000,000 litres of water per person
77. 200 billion years
78. Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
80. 460°C (860°F)
Need a quiz to play right now?
Click the banner below to try out our 4-round, 20-question general knowledge quiz, for free! 👇
Music General Knowledge Quiz Questions and Answers
81. What 1960s’ American pop group created the ‘surfin sound’?
82. In what year did the Beatles first go to the USA?
83. Who was lead singer with the 1970s’ pop group Slade?
84. What was Adele’s first record called?
85. ‘Future Nostalgia’ containing the single ‘Don’t Start Now’ is the second studio album from which English singer?
86. What is the name of the band with the following members: John Deacon, Brian May, Freddie Mercury, Roger Taylor?
87. Which singer was known amongst other things as ‘The King of Pop’ and ‘The Gloved One’?
88. Which American pop star had back to back 2015 chart success with singles ‘Sorry’ and ‘Love Yourself’?
89. ‘Losing my religion ‘ was a hit for which alternative Rock Band in 1991?
90. What song has the following lyrics: “Suddenly I’m not half the man I used to be. / There’s a shadow hanging over me.”?
81. Beach Boys
83. Peter Noone
84. Hometown Glory
85. Dua Lipa
87. Michael Jackson
88. Justin Bieber
Protip 👊: Need more pop music quiz questions? We’ve got 125 extra right here!
Football General Knowledge Quiz Questions and Answers
91. Which club won the 1986 FA Cup final?
92. Which goalkeeper holds the record for winning the most caps for England, winning 125 caps in his playing career?
93. How many League goals did Jurgen Klinsmann score for Tottenham Hotspur during the 1994/1995 Premier League season during his 41 League starts – 19, 20 or 21?
94. Who managed West Ham United between 2008 and 2010?
95. What is Stockport County’s nickname?
96. In which year did Arsenal move to The Emirates Stadium from Highbury?
97. What is Sir Alex Ferguson’s middle name?
98. Can you name the Sheffield United striker who scored the first ever Premier League goal during August 1992 in a 2-1 win against Manchester United?
99. Which Lancashire team plays their home games at Ewood Park?
100. Can you name the manager who took charge of the England national team in 1977?
91. Liverpool (they beat Everton 3-1)
92. Peter Shilton
94. Gianfranco Zola
95. The Hatters (or County)
98. Brian Deane
99. Blackburn Rovers
100. Ron Greenwood
Artists General Knowledge Quiz Questions and Answers
101. Which artist created ‘Campbell’s Soup Cans’ in 1962?
102. Can you name the sculptor who created ‘Family Group’ in 1950, the artist’s first large-scale commission after World War II?
103. What nationality was sculptor Alberto Giacometti?
104. How many sunflowers were there in Van Gogh’s third version of the painting ‘Sunflowers’?
105. Where in the world is Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa exhibited?
106. Which artist painted ‘The Water-Lily Pond’ in 1899?
107. Which modern artist’s work uses death as a central theme becoming famous for a series of artwork in which dead animals, including a shark, a sheep and a cow were preserved?
108. What nationality was artist Henri Matisse?
109. Which artist painted ‘Self Portrait with Two Circles’ in the seventh century?
110. Can you name the optical art piece that Bridget Riley created in 1961 – ‘Shadow Play’, ‘Cataract 3’ or ‘Movement in Squares’?
101. Andy Warhol
102. Henry Moore
105. The Louvre, Paris, France
106. Claude Monet
107. Damien Hurst
109. Rembrandt van Rijn
110. Movement in Squares
Pssst, want ready-made quizzes?
Check out our AhaSlides on Tap series – 5 general knowledge quizzes with 40 questions each. Thats a whopping 200 questions available to download for free!
Landmarks General Knowledge Quiz Questions and Answers
Name the country in which these landmarks can be found:
111. Giza Pyramid and the Great Sphinx
113. Angkor Wat
114. Statue of Liberty
115. Sydney Harbour Bridge
116. Taj Mahal
117. Juche Tower
118. Water Towers
119. Azadi Monument
111. Giza Pyramid and the Great Sphinx – Egypt
112. Colosseum – Italy
113. Angkor Wat – Cambodia
114. Statue of Liberty – United States of America
115. Sydney Harbour Bridge – Australia
116. Taj Mahal – India
117. Juche Tower – North Korea
118. Water Towers – Kuwait
119. Azadi Monument – Iran
120. Stonehenge – United Kingdom
World History General Knowledge Quiz Questions and Answers
List the year that the following events took place:
121. First university founded in Bologna, Italy
122. The end of the First World War
123. First contraceptive pill made available for women
124. William Shakespeare is born
125. First use of modern paper
126. Communist China founded
127. Martin Luther launches the Reformation
128. The end of the Second World War
129. Genghis Khan begins his conquest of Asia
130. The birth of Buddha
121. First university founded in Bologna, Italy – 1088
122. The end of the First World War – 1918
123. First contraceptive pill made available for women – 1960
124. William Shakespeare is born – 1564
125. First use of modern paper – 105AD
126. Communist China founded – 1949
127. Martin Luther launches the Reformation – 1517
128. The end of the Second World War – 1945
129. Genghis Khan begins his conquest of Asia – 1206
130. The birth of Buddha – 486BC
Game of Thrones Quiz Questions and Answers
131. Master of Coin Lord Petyr Baelish was also known by what name?
132. What is the very first episode called?
133. Which city provides the location for the fictional Kings Landing?
134. What is Hodor’s real name?
135. What is the name of the final episode of series 7?
136. Daenerys has 3 dragons, two are called Drogon and Rhaegal, what is the other called?
137. How did Cersi’s child Myrcella die?
138. What is the name of Jon Snow’s Direwolf?
139. Who was responsible for the creation of the Night King?
140. Iwan Rheon, who played Ramsay Bolton, was almost cast as which character?
132. Winter is Coming
135. The Dragon and the Wolf
139. The Children of the Forest
140. Jon Snow
James Bond Films Quiz Questions and Answers
141. What was the first Bond film, hitting the screens in 1962 with Sean Connery playing 007?
142. How many Bond films did Roger Moore appear as 007?
143. In which Bond film did the character Tee Hee appear in 1973?
144. Which Bond film was released in 2006?
145. Which actor played Jaws, making two Bond appearances, in The Spy who Loved Me and Moonraker?
146. True or false: Actress Halle Berry appeared in the 2002 Bond film Die Another Day playing the character Jinx?
147. In which 1985 Bond film did an airship appear, with the words ‘Zorin Industries’ appearing on the side?
148. Can you name the Bond villain in the 1963 film From Russia with Love; she was shot dead by Tatiana Romanova and was played by actress Lotte Lenya?
149. Which actor was James Bond before Daniel Craig, making four films as 007?
150. Which actor played Bond in On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, his only Bond appearance?
141. Dr No
142. Seven: Live and Let Die, The Man with the Golden Gun, The Spy who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy, and A View to a Kill
143. Live and Let Die
144. Casino Royale
145. Richard Kiel
147. A View to a Kill
148. Rosa Klebb
149. Pierce Brosnan
150. George Lazenby
Michael Jackson Quiz Questions and Answers
151. True or false: Michael won the 1984 Grammy award for the Record of the Year for the song ‘Beat It’?
152. Can you name the other four Jacksons who made up The Jackson 5?
153. What song was on the ‘B’ side to the single ‘Heal the World’?
154. What was Michael’s middle name – John, James or Joseph?
155. Which 1982 album became the bestselling album of all time?
156. How old was Michael when he sadly passed away in 2009?
157. True or false: Michael was the eighth of ten children?
158. What was the name of Michael’s autobiography, released in 1988?
159. In which year did Michael receive a Star on the Hollywood Boulevard?
160. Which song did Michael release in September 1987?
152. Jackie Jackson, Tito Jackson, Jermaine Jackson and Marlon Jackson
153. She Drives Me Wild
Board Games General Knowledge Quiz Questions and Answers
161. Which board game consists of 40 spaces containing 28 properties, four railroads, two utilities, three Chance spaces, three Community Chest spaces, a Luxury Tax space, an Income Tax space, and the four corner squares: GO, Jail, Free Parking, and Go to Jail?
162. Which board game was created in 1998 by Whit Alexander and Richard Tait, it is a party board game based on Ludo
163. Can you name the six suspects in the board game Cluedo?
164. Which board game is determined by a player’s ability to answer general knowledge and popular culture questions, a game that was created in 1979?
165. Which game, first released in 1967, consists of a plastic tube, a number of plastic rods called straws and a number of marbles?
166. Which board game is played with teams of players trying to identify specific words from their teammates’ drawings?
167. What is the grid size on a game of Scrabble – 15 x 15, 16 x 16 or 17 x 17?
168. What’s the maximum number of people that can play a game of Mouse Trap – two, four or six?
169. In which game do you have to collect as many marbles as possible with the hippos?
170. Can you name the game that simulates a person’s travels through his or her life, from college to retirement, with jobs, marriages and children (or not) along the way. Two to six players can participate in one game?
163. Miss Scarlett, Colonel Mustard, Mrs. White, Reverend Green, Mrs. Peacock and Professor Plum
164. Trivial Pursuit
167. 15 x 15
169. Hungry Hungry Hippos
170. The Game of Life
Got a Thirst for Quizzing?
We’ve got a whole bunch of quizzes like this in our template library. Here, you’ll find heaps of articles containing quiz questions on Harry Potter, Marvel and more, all instantly downloadable and useable for free on AhaSlides!
Here’s a few fan favourites…
Feature Image courtesy of Steve Harvey